This is what your pets will do if it eats one of these plants.

0
129

This is what your pet will do if it eats one of these plants.

We love to decorate our house inside and outside with beautiful plants. The rarer and more exotic they are, the more they attract us and we want to take them home to beautify our space. Nevertheless, having unknown plants can be very dangerous when we have pets in our house. Many of these plants might be poisonous, causing great harm to our pets and other animals. Stay with us to find it out!

Beautiful outside, dangerous inside

It is important to take a moment to check the type of plant we take to our home. Many of them can cause serious health problems to our pets, even death. Some, with the simple touch of the animal to the plant, can cause rashes in its skin. Others, by chewing and ingesting them, cause vomit, shortness of breath, exaggerated secretion of saliva, diarrhea, and death.

Watch out for the Aloe Vera!

This plant of African origin, specifically from the Arabian Peninsula, has infinite medicinal benefits. Although for humans, it has healing properties, helps digestion, maintains healthy skin, lowers stress, it is beneficial for the heart and many others, it is toxic for our pets since it can cause diarrhea, vomits, shudder, alterations in its urine color and discouragement.

Keep your pets away from Ivy

This climbing plant has its origin in Europe, Asia, and Africa, but it is already everywhere in the world. Its leaves are green or green-yellowish, and its fruit has a black or yellow-orange tone. It climbs the walls with its aerial root which supports its own weight. This plant in all of its parts is slightly toxic; however, its fruit is highly toxic. Its ingestion causes stomachache, fever, vomit, and general breakdown.

Do you know the Hyacinth plant?

It also has the name of Jonquil, of the genus perennial and bulbous, from southern Africa. It needs wet ground and a fresh place in the house not so lit. Its leaves have a linear base and form a rosette. They are easily cultivated and have an exquisite aroma. Its bulb is the most toxic area and its ingestion produces diarrhea, vomit, gastric discomfort, and even death.

What to do if our pet gets intoxicated with a plant?

If for any reason your pet starts to present any of the symptoms we mentioned, check your plants to verify if they are complete. If you notice that your plant has bites or missing parts, you will know your pet could be intoxicated. Make sure that your pet maintains a temperature of 39ºC. If it vomits, supply milk o egg white; if it shakes, wrap it up and keep it warm. Take a sample of the plant and go to the veterinarian who will indicate what to do.

There is no need to be an expert in the field, but we need to have basic information about the plants we take home; especially to protect our four-legged companions. Let us remember that these plants because of their color and shape, call the attention of our dog and cat, which go directly into contact with them. On the other hand, there are other animals, like cattle and wild animals, that are also exposed to very toxic plants and we have to take care of them.

Interesting. Read other topics here

Comments

comments